Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Free Marketing!

(Real life marketing . . . also see my first blog on why businesses need a web site!)


I was recently working with a business that shunned social media. "No" to facebook, "no" to blogs and especially "no" to twitter. Included in their reasoning was:

• "You don't know who is out there"
• "I'll have all of these people sending me messages"
• "This is going to take some time"

To that, I said "yes", "yes" and "yes". I also said two additional words . . . "free marketing". With millions of people using social media, a single message to one customer can echo to their friends, and their friends, and so on, and so on . . .

(Click here to see the Faberge commercial . . and so on, and so on . . )

I needed to move the conversation back to my client . . . "consider your own situation - if one of your friends recommended a new restaurant, would you want to try it?" "Yes" (depending on the friend) was their answer. Once I could see that they were picturing that customer success story echoing through their friends, and their friends, and so on, and so on . . . I knew that my message was hitting home.

So, we do know who is out there, it's your customers. You will have people sending you messages and you should respond . . . when you are communicating directly to your customers, they will feel connected with your business. And, yes, it will take some time, but that time will add up to additional business and profit.

Why should a business engage in social media? 

• It is free marketing
• Your customers are here
• Connecting with your customers = more business
• It can be fun

At the end of the conversation, my customer asked "can I still send out my e-mails?". I said "yes, you can still send out your e-mails" . . . for now!

1 comment:

  1. Inbound marketing’s primary goal is focused on creating content that aligns well with an audience's interests, and interacting with people in a way that offers true value to them. This is a nice marketing system for your business. Best inbound marketing tips

    ReplyDelete